200g butter, softened, plus extra 5g to grease
200g dark Muscovado sugar
5 tbsp ginger syrup (from stem ginger jar)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
350g self-raising flour
8 tsp ground ginger
25g fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
100g stem ginger, chopped
5 tbsp icing sugar
1 lemon, zest and juice
1. Heat the oven 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Cream together the 200g of butter and sugar with a pinch of salt until creamy and light and fluffy using an electric whisk.
2. Add the ginger syrup and whisk briefly to combine. Add the eggs slowly, constantly whisking the mixture.
3. Sift in the flour and ground ginger and stir in gently with a spoon.
4. Stir through the fresh and stem ginger. Grease the bundt tin very thoroughly with 5g of butter (otherwise the top will stick).
5. Spoon the cake batter into the tin and smooth it out. Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the mould before taking it out.
6. Mix the icing sugar with the juice of 1 lemon and pour over the cake. Serve with some bay leaf-infused custard for an outlandish finish to a light meal.